The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of research and teaching, is relevant to its country, is known worldwide for its research and teaching in targeted areas, and is establishing itself as an innovative model for contemporary European Higher Education. The University`s core asset is its well-connected world-class academic staff which will attract the most motivated, talented and creative students and young researchers who will learn to enjoy taking up challenges and develop into visionary thinkers able to shape society.
To support this ambition, excellence and talent are critical in the University’ services. Reporting to the University’s Chief Information Officer, the Application team leader steers a growing and maturing team of 20+ fantastic colleagues within an IT Department of ~70 people.
Taking this role now comes at a pivotal moment: the digitalization is spreading across every cell of the University. Consequently, a new approach to deliver IT at scale has been undertaken and the leadership capabilities to guide your team into the changes are more critical than ever. You will work in close collaboration and alongside four other IT team leaders who are undertaking the same changes. Should you be interested in the position, be prepared to some brain stretching: the job is for polyvalent profile, who can deep-dive when required.
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
- Guide your team (own the IT strategy, translate it to your activity, communicate it, live it)
- Protect & nurture the department’s culture and values
- Take responsibility for the delivery of the applications managed by your team
- Prepare, monitor and take responsibility for your budget
- Manage FTE in terms of availabilities, hiring, operational tasks (holidays, absence…)
- People development
- Ensure that the team is equipped with the right skills for today and tomorrow’s challenges
- Ensure to maintain a fair (win/win) and fruitful collaboration between your team members and the University
- Relationships management
- Act as a translator from the business to the team and an ambassador from the team’s value to the business (e.g. agile mindset & methodologies)
- Develop trustworthy relationships with our major suppliers to ensure long-term win/win balanced situation
- Setup and maintain high-quality relationships within the department, between departments and across the University to be a roadblock remover for your team and colleagues
- Applications mastery
- Guardian of the methodologies between the products managed by the product owners from the IT Department
- Mastery of the different licensing models and their long-term impacts for your activity
- On top of emerging technologies, assessing and explaining potential impacts
What we expect from you…
- University degree
- Solid experience in similar or higher role (seniority, not senior) and still eager to make a difference!
- Proven problem-solving skills (structure, structure, structure…), interpersonal skills (handling multicultural and passionate people, politics…), management skills (budget, FTE, activities), self-management (overload of activities/information/notifications…)
- Proven experience and in-depth understanding of change
- Proven experience with program management and development methodologies
- Proven experience with modern application architecture, and major development platforms
- Ready to fight for your ideas until a decision is taken. Then embrace it
- Genuine interest for higher-education environment
- Fluency in English is mandatory, fluency in French is an asset
You will get...
- To work in a unique environment:
- Playground for lovers of technology
- Challenging and fast-paced institution
- International and multicultural workplace
- To develop yourself
- To evolve as part of a supportive team
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Foreseen starting date: August 2021
- Location: 2 campuses (Belval and Kirchberg), with presence mostly expected in Belval
- Job Reference: UOL04216
How to apply...
Applications should include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
In return you will get…
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …