Last application date Jul 31, 2021 00:00
Department GE33 - Department of Basic and Applied Medical Sciences
Contract Limited duration
Degree Master of Science in biochemistry, biotechnology, biomedical sciences, pharmaceutical sciences, bioengineering sciences, or an equivalent degree.
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy type Research staff
The Bosmans laboratory at UGent Faculty of Medicine is looking for a motivated candidate who is interested in building bridges between basic medical science and clinical observations and who wants to make an important contribution to uncovering the mechanisms underlying the function of the somatosensory nervous system. In particular, we are interested in sensory perception processes such as pain and itch that relate to ion channel function in the peripheral and autonomic nervous system. This project requires in-depth knowledge of various principles from neuroscience and biophysics, and will benefit from approaches such as electrophysiology, (genetically-modified) mouse husbandry, molecular biology, cell transfection and culture, imaging, and tissue manipulations. The candidate is expected to interact with basic scientists from various backgrounds and to function as an ambassador for this ambitious project as well as to engage in a broader context in the neuroscience community in Ghent and beyond. You will spend your time (approximately 4 years) on academic biomedical research in preparation of a doctoral dissertation.
- You hold a degree of Master of Science in biochemistry and biotechnology, Master of Science in biology, Master of Science in biomedical sciences, Master of Science in pharmaceutical care or drug development, Master of Science in bioengineering sciences, or an equivalent degree. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC)
must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- Previous experience with mouse genetics and behavioral studies, electrophysiology, and complex molecular biology, is strongly recommended.
- You have a strong interest in or previous experience with academic and/or project-based research and services.
- Teaching experience or participation in extra training, conferences, etc. is a plus.
- You have excellent communication skills, particularly in the English language.
Your application must include the following documents (merged in one pdf file):
- A cover letter
- Your CV and an overview of your study results
- A transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages. Only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via
- Two reference letters from researchers that can attest to your abilities.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this position or to apply, please send your application to Prof Frank Bosmans, email@example.comLeer más
|Título||PhD Student - Department of Basic and Applied Medical Sciences|
|Job location||Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 33, 9000 Gent|
|Publicado||abril 13, 2021|
|Fecha límite de solicitud||julio 31, 2021|
|Tipos de trabajo||Doctorado  |
|Campos||Biotecnología,   Neurociencia,   Biomedicina,   Bioquímica,   Biología Molecular,   Genética,   Farmacia y Farmacología  |